PLAZA ROBERTO MAESTAS. Shaped by neighbors and future residents, and designed to promote community interaction and environmental values, Plaza Roberto Maestas will create and model a new standard for community-inspired, transit-oriented development in Seattle and around the country.
Developed by El Centro de la Raza, Plaza Roberto Maestas is a mixed-use affordable housing community planned in response to growing needs – specifically, a critical need for affordable housing.
The Plaza addresses community needs by providing:
- Affordable housing
- Economic opportunities and job creation
- Early childhood development and education
- Community gathering spaces
When completed, Plaza Roberto Maestas will include:
- Affordable Rental Housing: 112 units (one to three bedrooms) for working individuals and families earning 30 to 60 percent of area median income
- Office space: 4,500 square feet
- Micro-business vendor carts at affordable rental rates
- Retail and restaurant space: 3,200 square feet
- Live/work space: 2,300 square feet
- Classrooms: 10,000 square feet to expand El Centro’s award-winning early childhood dual-language education center
- A Latino-style outdoor plaza: 12,900 square feet
- A multi-cultural community center: 6,000 square feet
2013 Futurewise Livable Communities Award. The Plaza Roberto Maestas development was selected for the 2013 Futurewise Livable Communities Award for its combination of affordable housing that leveraged public investment in transit, and green building, while preserving Latino cultural traditions. Futurewise is a state-wide public interest group that works to promote sustainable and eco-friendly development.