PLAZA ROBERTO MAESTAS
An Affordable Housing Community Located in the Heart of Beacon Hill
Developed by El Centro de la Raza, Plaza Roberto Maestas is a mixed-use, affordable housing community planned in response to a critical and growing need for affordable housing in Seattle.
Plaza Maestas will help fill a gap in rental housing for low-income workers who can’t afford market-rate housing, and will help build a support system for residents and small tenant businesses to promote long-term self-sufficiency. Uniquely situated just north of the Beacon Hill Link Light Rail Station, Plaza residents will have easy access to transportation and to employment and educational opportunities in downtown Seattle.
The $45 million development was designed to address specific needs in the community by providing:
- Affordable housing
- Economic opportunities and job creation (40 permanent and 150 construction-related jobs)
- Early childhood development and education
- Community gathering spaces
Plaza Roberto Maestas will include:
- Affordable Rental Housing: 112 units (one to three bedrooms) for working individuals and families earning 30 to 60 percent of area median income ($24,000-49,000/year)
- Office space: 4,500 square feet
- Micro-business vendor carts at affordable rental rates
- Retail and restaurant space: 3,200 square feet
- Live/work space: 2,300 square feet
- Classrooms: 10,000 square feet to expand the nationally-accredited José Martí Child Development Center, El Centro’s award-winning early childhood dual-language education center
- A Latino-style outdoor plaza: 12,900 square feet
- A multi-cultural community center: 6,000 square feet
2013 Futurewise Livable Communities Award
The Plaza Roberto Maestas development was selected for the 2013 Futurewise Livable Communities Award for its combination of affordable housing that leveraged public investment in transit, and green building, while preserving Latino cultural traditions. Futurewiseis a state-wide public interest group that works to promote sustainable and eco-friendly development.
Mission of Plaza Roberto Maestas
To support El Centro de la Raza’s mission and extend the reach of El Centro’s services and programs, and play a major role as a community-building hub for El Centro de la Raza, Beacon Hill and Seattle.
Mission of El Centro de la Raza
To build unity across all racial and economic sectors; to organize, empower and defend its most vulnerable and marginalized populations; and to bring justice, dignity, equality and freedom to all peoples of the world.
| Affordable Rental Housing for Low-Income Workers and Families | Office Space | Retail and Restaurant Space for Small Local Businesses | Vendor Carts for Micro-Businesses | Classrooms for Dual-Language Early Childhood Education | Multicultural Community Meeting Space | Latino Outdoor Plaza |